He ruined many lives with his false paedo claims. Now he's ruined his own
Karma's a Beech for the vicar's son whose lies led to a major police probe into a nonexistent paedophile sex ring
The man known as “Nick”, whose accusations sparked the UK’s VIP paedophile investigation and who has been charged with perverting the course of justice, can now be named as Carl Beech.
The real identity of Beech, a 50-year-old former NHS manager and father of one, had been shrouded in secrecy since he first came forward four years ago claiming he had been sexually abused by a group of high-profile figures and leading politicians when he was a child in the 1970s and 1980s.
But he can finally be named after a legal restriction was lifted during a hearing at Newcastle Crown Court.
It can now be revealed that Beech is a former governor of two schools. Born in Wrexham, his mother is a retired Anglican vicar.
After leaving school, he qualified as a nurse before moving into NHS management, becoming the head of patient advice, liaison services and complaints at a large trust. He is also a fellow of the Institute of Health Management.
He married a fellow nurse in 1992 and they have one son, but the marriage broke down a number of years ago.
In 2014 Scotland Yard launched a major criminal investigation, Operation Midland, after Beech came forward and told detectives he had been the victim of historic abuse.
It is alleged he falsely told police he been raped and abused for nine years by a VIP gang, which included prime minister Sir Edward Heath, former home secretary Leon Brittan, former head of the army Lord Bramall, former Tory MP Harvey Proctor and former Labour MP Greville Janner.
As well as alleging child rape, Beech told police officers at least three youngsters had been murdered at the hands of the VIP paedophile ring. But Scotland Yard’s £2.5m inquiry was closed in 2016 without any arrests being made.
A review by a retired high court judge into the Scotland Yard investigation highlighted more than 40 mistakes by the force.
In September 2017, Northumbria police, who had spent 10 months investigating the case, passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service, which in turn charged Beech with 12 counts of perverting the course of justice.
He was also charged with fraud in relation to an allegation that he profited from his allegations by making a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). Beech is accused of fraudulently receiving £22,000 in compensation for abuse that never took place.
Beech appeared at Newcastle Crown Court accused of 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one count of fraud. He spoke only once to answer “I am” when asked whether he was Carl Beech.
The case has now been listed for a six to eight-week trial to begin at Newcastle on May 7 next year.
The recorder of Newcastle, judge Paul Sloan QC, lifted an order that had previously been in place banning the identity of Beech. At a previous pretrial hearing before judge Paul Sloan, his barrister Raymond Tully said: “We anticipate the matter will be fully contested.”
His case will be back before the court on February 11 next year for one of a number of further pretrial hearings scheduled before May.
– © Telegraph Media Group Limited