It was a rightful act, says man who smashed Trump’s star
Pick-axe wielding Donald-hater says the repercussions of his Hollywood Walk of Fame antics were positive
A US man accused of taking a pick-axe to President Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame justified his actions as he pleaded not guilty to a felony vandalism charge.
“I don’t personally think there should be any charges brought against me because what I did, I believe, was a rightful and just act, and I think that the repercussions of it were only positive,” Austin Mikel Clay, 24, told ABC7 after appearing in court in Los Angeles on Wednesday.Clay, who faces three years in prison if convicted, smashed the star on July 25 and then reportedly called police and told them “see you soon” before leaving the scene.
He later turned himself in to police in Beverly Hills.
It was the second time Trump’s star had been vandalised in less than two years.In October 2016, a man dressed as a construction worker smashed the star with a pick-axe and a sledgehammer. James Otis pleaded no contest to felony vandalism and was sentenced to three years’ probation. He agreed to pay $4,400 (R64,000) for the damage.Trump’s star has in the past two years been targeted repeatedly by detractors who say they are offended by his treatment of women and his politics.
One man in 2016 tweeted a photo of a pile of dog faeces on the Hollywood star with the message: “Hey, @realDonaldTrump, my dog hates you.”
Trump was awarded the star in 2007 for his reality show The Apprentice.