Woman sucked out of plane window was wearing seatbelt


Woman sucked out of plane window was wearing seatbelt

Death ruled accidental as investigators are still trying to figure out how the window came out of the plane

© The Daily Telegraph

The woman who was killed when she was partially blown out of a Southwest Airlines plane was wearing a seatbelt at the time, but died from blunt impact trauma, according to authorities.
Spokesperson James Garrow of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health said on Wednesday evening that banking executive Jennifer Riordan’s death was ruled accidental.
Riordan was killed and seven others were injured after the twin-engine 737 blew an engine at 9,000 metres on Tuesday, throwing shrapnel into a window of the plane. National Transportation Safety Board chairperson Robert Sumwalt said Riordan, who was sitting next to a window, was wearing a seatbelt before she was partially sucked out of the plane.
The Federal Aviation Administration announced on Wednesday that it would order inspections on engine fan blades like the one that snapped off and triggered the accident.Federal investigators are still trying to figure out how the window came out of the plane.The two pilots who made the emergency landing in Philadelphia after the engine blew apart said late on Wednesday that their “hearts are heavy”.
Captain Tammie Jo Shults and first officer Darren Ellisor issued a statement through the airline. They said they appreciate the outpouring of support from the public and their co-workers as they “reflect on one family’s profound loss”.
Shults and Ellisor said they were focused on working with investigators and would not be speaking to the media.
'Metal fatigue'
Earlier on Wednesday, Sumwalt said the incident began when one of the engine’s 24 fan blades snapped off from its hub. Investigators had found that the blade had suffered metal fatigue at the point of the break.
Sumwalt said he could not yet say whether the incident, the first deadly airline accident in the US since 2009, pointed to a fleet-wide issue in the Boeing 737-700.
“We want to very carefully understand what was the result of this problem and, as I mentioned a few minutes ago, I’m very concerned about this particular event,” he said the Philadelphia airport.
“To be able to extrapolate that to the entire fleet, I’m not willing to do that right now.”Southwest crews were inspecting similar engines the airline had in service, focusing on the 400 to 600 oldest of the CFM56 engines, made by a partnership of France’s Safran and General Electric, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
It was the second time that kind of engine had failed on a Southwest jet in the past two years, prompting airlines around the world to step up inspections.
A National Transportation Safety Board inspection crew was also combing over the Boeing 737-700 for signs of what caused the engine to explode.
Sumwalt said the fan blade, after suffering metal fatigue where it attached to the engine hub, suffered a second fracture about halfway along its length. Pieces of the plane were found in rural Pennsylvania by investigators who tracked them on radar.
The metal fatigue would not have been observable by looking at the engine from the outside, Sumwalt said.The jet was traveling at 305km/h when it made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport, according to Sumwalt, much faster than the typical 249km/h touchdown.
Passengers described scenes of panic as a piece of shrapnel from the engine shattered a plane window, almost sucking Riordan out.
“The window had broken and the negative pressure had pulled her outside the plane partially,” Peggy Phillips, a registered nurse who was on the plane, told WFAA-TV in Dallas.
“Two wonderful men ... they managed to get her back inside the plane, and we laid her down and we started CPR.”
Riordan was a Wells Fargo banking executive and well-known community volunteer from Albuquerque, New Mexico, the company said.
'I thought these were my last moments'
Videos posted on social media showed passengers grabbing for oxygen masks and screaming as the plane, piloted by Shults, a former US Navy fighter pilot, prepared for the descent into Philadelphia.
“All I could think of in that moment was, I need to communicate with my loved ones,” passenger Marty Martinez told ABC’s Good Morning America on Wednesday.
During the incident, he logged on to the in-flight Wi-Fi to send messages to his family.“I thought, these are my last few moments on Earth and I want people to know what happened,” said Martinez, who was attacked by some social media users for his choice to livestream the incident on Facebook.
They saw this as violating the privacy of other passengers on the flight.

This article is reserved for Times Select subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Times Select content.

Times Select

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

Previous Article