SPORTS DAY: No Faf, no fuss for Springboks ... hopefully
Your roundup of the sporting news of the day
Faf will be missed against Scotland
Scrumhalf Faf de Klerk will play for Sale Sharks this weekend as part of a deal between Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus and the club‚ which means much-needed game time for another halfback against Scotland. After a stellar year where his combative approach and improved technical skills have been key to Bok success‚ he will be missed. De Klerk’s absence opens the door for two of the three scrumhalves on tour – Ivan van Zyl‚ Embrose Papier and Louis Schreuder – to get a look-in this weekend. Van Zyl started against England 10 days ago and was solid and dogged in sticking to instructions to box kick the ball. Papier, his replacement, has five Test caps but has played only 26 minutes of Test rugby of which only 17 minutes have been at scrumhalf. Schreuder has one cap and nine minutes of Test rugby to his name.
Concern over slow Bafana ticket sales
Tickets to Saturday’s African Nations Cup showdown between Bafana Bafana and Nigeria at FNB Stadium have been moving at a snail’s pace and only 7,300 had been sold by Tuesday afternoon. Worried Stadium Management South Africa CEO Jacques Grobbelaar said: “We are selling about 2,000 a day which is not bad and our projections are that we will reach about 20,000 by Friday. “We have capped the tickets at 41,000.”
I’m back, says ‘One-Line’ Serero
Thulani Serero has been away from Bafana Bafana for just over a year, and in that time the Vitesse Arnhem forward’s interview skills have improved exactly 0%. Predictably, he was the man the media wanted to speak to after Bafana training on Tuesday, and he was no better as he replied with his familiar evasive and half-hearted one-liners. Serero would not be drawn on what Baxter had said to him to persuade him to return. “I think you can ask him what he said to me‚ but the most important thing is that I’m here‚” he said‚ adding rather limply: “And I’m happy to be part of the team.”
Qatar consider offers to host teams Qatar is considering offers from other countries to host teams during the 2022 World Cup, but no decision has been taken yet, said the head of the organising committee. Iran has recently offered to host teams who will play in tiny Qatar in the World Cup which starts in just over four years time. When asked whether teams could be based in Iran, chief organiser Hassan Al Thawadi said Qatar had received “numerous proposals from countries with regard to hosting teams” around the time of the tournament. “This is part of the operational plan, but obviously it will have to be done with Fifa,” he said.
Former Egypt forward jailed Former Egypt forward Mohamed Aboutrika, one of the country’s most famous sportsmen, has been sentenced to a year in jail on charges of tax evasion.
Semenya targets world record
And for her next trick‚ multiple Olympic and world champion Caster Semenya has set her sights on the longest-standing world record in athletics next season. Semenya has so far failed to break Jarmila Kratochvílová’s 1:53.28 800m mark set in 1983‚ but her coach Samuel Sepeng says they are in the planning stages of pulling off a miracle. “If you are planning the miracle of breaking the world record‚ you must have a proper plan in place and we are going to sit down and come up with a proper plan.”
Sri Lankan bowler charged for fixing offer Former Sri Lankan fast bowler Dilhara Lokuhettige has been charged and suspended for corruption during the first edition of the T10 league held last year, the International Cricket Council said on Tuesday.
Teen’s death inflames debate over sport The death of a 13-year-old boy, knocked out during a Thai boxing match, has inflamed debate about whether children should be allowed to take part in a dangerous sport that many of them see as their only chance of escaping poverty. Anucha Kochana was pronounced dead from a brain haemorrhage on Monday after he was knocked out in a match on the outskirts of Bangkok on Sunday evening. The sport is governed by few rules – children of any age can box in an organised match – but legislators appointed by a military government have already been looking to tighten regulations to ban children under the age of 12 from professional bouts.
Fighters wear masks to avoid pollution Women boxers training for a world championship starting in New Delhi this week are wearing surgical masks, scarves and even T-shirts across their mouths as the level of air pollution rises several times beyond the safe limit. The AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships is taking place in an indoor stadium from Thursday through to November 24 but teams are complaining about a toxic smog hanging over the city, caused by seasonal burning of crop stubble and emissions from vehicles and industry.
NHL, ex-players reach deal in concussion case
The National Hockey League has reached a settlement with nearly 320 former players who filed a concussion lawsuit alleging the league bore responsibility for the effects of head injuries and trauma, a statement said Monday. Under the terms of the deal, the NHL, which is not admitting liability for any of the players’ claims, will pay up to $22,000 per player and will also foot the bill for medical treatment arising from head injuries.The sums involved in the ice hockey settlement are dwarfed by a similar case in the National Football League.
- AFP, Reuters, TimesLIVE