SPORTS DAY: Chad eyes his 17th Commonwealth medal

Sport

SPORTS DAY: Chad eyes his 17th Commonwealth medal

Your roundup of the sporting news of the day

Sports editor and columnist: Sunday Times

COMMONWEALTH GAMES
Chad piles on the power with his eye on medal 17 
Chad Le Clos unleashed a display of immense power to set up the 17th gong of his career‚ a bronze in the 4x100m medley relay. Brad Tandy‚ part of the foursome‚ also added a silver in the 50m freestyle earlier in the evening. Le Clos will compete for a 17th career Commonwealth Games medal after his teammates progressed past the 4x100m medley relay heats on Tuesday. Le Clos and Cameron van der Burgh will strengthen the line-up for the final swimming race of the Commonwealth Games gala; four years ago SA won bronze in 3:34.47. A medal will leave Le Clos one short of the all-time Games haul of 18‚ shared by two shooters.
SA boxers knocked out once again
For the second time in three Commonwealth Games‚ South Africa has failed to win a boxing medal. The nation’s last hope‚ Sinethemba Blom in the 64kg division‚ was adjudged the loser in a tight last-eight contest against Ghana’s Jessie Lartey‚ who is now guaranteed a medal. Tulz Mbenge’s bronze at Glasgow 2014 has been the country’s only boxing gong from the past three editions of the Games.
SOCCER
Will Chiefs be charged for riot?The Premier Soccer League (PSL) are waiting on the decision of their prosecutor‚ Nande Becker‚ to know whether Kaizer Chiefs will be charged for scenes of fan unruliness after the club lost 3-0 against Chippa United at FNB Stadium on Saturday. Missiles were thrown at players leaving the field and temporary security fencing uprooted and thrown as supporters reacted angrily to the defeat that effectively ended Chiefs’ already-slim chances of still challenging for the Absa Premiership title. It seems highly likely that Becker will charge Chiefs over the conduct of their supporters.
Announcement on Komphela due soon
Kaizer Chiefs will “make announcements”‚ said the club’s football manager Bobby Motaung‚ refusing to comment on the club’s position on coach Steve Komphela’s job security in the wake of a 3-0 defeat against Chippa United on Saturday. Chiefs’ already slim chance of challenging for the 2017-18 Absa Premiership were effectively ended in a poor display conceding three goals to Chippa at FNB‚ resulting in scenes of missile-throwing at players and throwing of temporary security fences by angry supporters. There were chants of “Steve must go” from the supporters directed at  Komphela‚ who is approaching the end of a third season without a trophy at the Soweto giants.
Zidane reckons Ronaldo is a symbol of RealCoach Zinedine Zidane believes Cristiano Ronaldo will be remembered at Real Madrid in the same glowing terms as Alfredo Di Stefano.  Di Stefano was the face of Real’s domination during the 1950s and 1960s, when they won five European Cups and he scored more than 300 goals.  Ronaldo is now trying to lead another prolonged period of European success, with Real gunning for their third consecutive Champions League triumph, and fourth in five years. They take a 3-0 lead into Wednesdays quarterfinal second leg at home to Juventus after the Portuguese scored twice last week in Turin, a double that included a sensational bicycle kick.  Ronaldo already has 14 goals in this year´s tournament, three short of his best ever 17, which he posted when Real were crowned champions in 2014.
Robben wary of slick Sevilla
Arjen Robben says Bayern Munich can take nothing for granted against Sevilla in Wednesday’s home quarterfinal after the Spaniards already dumped Manchester United out of the Champions League. Bayern have one foot in a seventh European semifinal in nine years after earning a 2-1 away win at Sevilla in last week’s first leg. However, Sevilla have already given a clear demonstration of how dangerous they are away from home.  After a goalless draw in Seville in the last 16, they won 2-1 at Old Trafford last month with French striker Wissam Ben Yedder netting both goals.
CRICKET
Morkel inks his Surrey deal
Surrey have signed Morne Morkel on a two-year contract, the former English county champions announced on Tuesday. Morkel quit international cricket after South Africa’s recent 3-1 home test series win over Australia and the 33-year-old will add plenty of experience having played 86 tests, 117 one-day internationals and 44 Twenty20 internationals. “It is a real honour that Surrey have asked me to join their club after my retirement from international cricket,” said Morkel, who has taken 544 wickets across all formats of the game.
Protesters want IPL postponed
Protesters burned merchandise and jostled with police outside a cricket stadium in Chennai on Tuesday, demanding Indian Premier League matches be cancelled as the southern city reels from a water crisis. Hundreds of demonstrators, some wearing black T-shirts and waving black balloons, gathered near the venue shouting slogans ahead of the Chennai Super Kings’ match against Kolkata Knight Riders. Police tried to force protesters on to buses outside the stadium in Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu state, where the Kings are to play their first home match since a two-year ban for illegal gambling was lifted. The drought-prone state has witnessed mounting protests in recent weeks over a disputed accord with neighbouring Karnataka on how to share water from the key Cauvery river, a hot-button issue in southern India.
RUGBY
Fleck under pressure as Stormers sputter
Beleaguered Stormers coach Robbie Fleck still has the backing of the Western Province board after a poor first half of the 2018 Super Rugby campaign. The Stormers have lost five of eight matches – all away – and have leaked 37 tries in those eight matches. A swathe of injuries that have cost the side key players hasn’t helped‚ while the fixture list has also been difficult‚ with six away matches in their first nine outings. They have their first bye this weekend and have been without Bok captain Eben Etzebeth and tighthead prop Frans Malherbe the entire campaign.
Alberts extends Francais contract
South African loose forward Willem Alberts has extended his contract with Top 14 side Stade Francais. The 33-year-old’s new deal covers next season with an option for one more at the club which from next term will be coached by his compatriot, Heyneke Meyer. The imposing forward joined Stade after the 2015 World Cup from Sharks. Stade eased their Top 14 relegation worries with a bonus-point victory over champions Clermont last weekend.
TimesLIVE, Reuters and AFP

This article is reserved for Sunday Times Daily subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times Daily content.

Sunday Times Daily

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.