Domestic warfare: minister’s daughter and son-in-law reach a ...

News

Domestic warfare: minister’s daughter and son-in-law reach a stalemate

The pair applied for protection orders against each other earlier this year

Journalist


The daughter and son-in-law of a longstanding government minister, who were both seeking protection orders against each other, had their applications dismissed.
The couple cannot be named, according to protection order laws.
On Tuesday,  the domestic warfare came to an end – for now – with both parties leaving the Randburg Magistrates’ Court looking emotional, though it was the husband who confirmed to Times Select that both applications had been “dismissed”. The wife declined to comment.
The proceedings began at the beginning of February, where the woman launched a protection order application against her husband.
When the application was postponed to give the husband time to answer, he launched his own counter-application, and the court was told through written statements how they were both allegedly physically, emotionally and psychologically abusive.
According to the woman’s application, seen by Times Select, she claimed she was “constantly subjected to angry outbursts, verbal and emotional harassment, physical violence on [her], constant tense environment in the household and being locked out and denied access to clean clothes”.
The woman claimed her husband grew up in an abusive home, and that he struggled with his anger, “frequently smash(ing) items in the house in a fit of rage”.
In her application, she said she had placed her daughter in boarding school in 2018 because the teenager was so unhappy in the house after being subjected to psychological abuse by the husband.
Regarding the physical abuse, she said she had been left with bruises on multiple parts of her body because he had become violent with her on numerous occasions.
“He is armed and extremely dangerous. One of his occupations is trading in illegal weapons, which keeps him out at all hours of the night,” she wrote.  She did not elaborate further on this claim.
“While the physical violence is traumatic, the psychological violence is probably even worse … Over time he became increasingly controlling and paranoid.”
She alleged she was locked out of the house partially or fully naked on numerous occasions, and that while she had contacted 10111 in the past, she would often recant her complaint to protect her children from the embarrassment and trauma of the neighbours witnessing such events.
The wife also claimed all the bills in the home were paid by her – in a house she can’t occupy – and that he failed to contribute financially.
However, in the husband’s responding papers, he denied the allegations of abuse, saying it was his wife who had verbally and physically abused him, while psychologically abusing their children.
He also stated in his counter-application the woman was using her family’s political name to abuse the court system, making false allegations against him, and that he feared for his life after she threatened to “get rid of him”.
In his papers, the husband drew up a timeline of events throughout their marriage when he claimed she abused him.
For years, he claimed, she had called him “useless”, taunted him while drunk and threatened to call the police if he ever retaliated because she knew “how to work [the] system”.
He said she suffered from a problem with alcohol, “drinking from 8am in the morning” and that many of the abusive incidents occurred while she was intoxicated.
He described an incident in 2013 when the wife allegedly hit him with a wine bottle while he was holding his son.
In another incident that year, he claimed, she had hit and kicked him, prompting him to leave the house. He was later pulled over by the police, as the wife had reported her car stolen.
“She would often threaten to call police and report false domestic abuse and tell me she will ruin my career and knows how the legal system works,” he wrote.
In 2017, he claimed, the wife crashed into the entrance of their estate in her car while drunk and with the children in the vehicle. “I asked her to please stop drinking and driving with kids in the car,” he said.
While the husband has denied the allegations put to him in a previous interview with Times Select, the wife and her legal team declined to comment earlier this year and, on Tuesday, she also said she did not wish to speak to Times Select.

This article is reserved for Times Select subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Times Select content.

Times Select

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

Previous Article