Uber victim has no memory of the crash and his family no answers
It has been a month and the police have still not arrested the driver, says his uncle
The man knocked over by an Uber last month has been moved to a rehabilitation facility and has started speaking in short sentences, but he cannot remember what happened on the night of the accident.
Beyers Serfontein spent three weeks in an intensive care unit at a Centurion hospital and one week in high care after the accident on a Saturday night in March.
His girlfriend Linda Bennett said the couple was travelling home in an Uber car when he asked the driver to stop, accusing him of driving recklessly.
Bennett insists the driver of the car mowed her fiance down when he wanted to get his cooler box out of the boot.
His uncle Leon Botha denied rumours that Serfontein got injured when he tried to strangle the driver through the window and the man drove off.
Serfontein’s family said the police investigation was taking too long, questioning why the driver – whose name has not been made public – had not been arrested. Uber has only said he has been suspended.
“It has been a month and the police have still not arrested the driver,” said Botha.
“Everyone I speak to is flabbergasted that he is so seriously injured that the person [allegedly to blame] is still walking scot-free.”
“How long does it take to investigate and get tracking data from the car, take statements and inspect the vehicle?”
Serfontein has had surgery on his leg and needed occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy.
“He is in a stable but serious condition. We are unsure of the extent of his head injuries.
“We are hoping he will recover and go back to work because he is a professional engineer with an MBA.”
The injured man’s brother, Johan Serfontein, said the family was hoping to get a better diagnosis of his head injuries and prognosis from the rehabilitation team.
“He is being assessed by the rehabilitation team ... The team will tell us what his likelihood of full recovery is.”
Lyttleton police spokesperson Dave Miller said the police were busy with the case and that its case file had been sent to a prosecutor at the High Court in Pretoria for guidance.
“The prosecuting authority sent it back requiring more documents and investigation, with instructions that some things must be done.”