How one woman ended an alleged serial rapist’s reign of terror

News

How one woman ended an alleged serial rapist’s reign of terror

The suspect was forced to visit a clinic after a botched rape attempt. His target also happened to be there for her injuries

Journalist


A suspected serial rapist stalking the women of Randfontein was caught when one of his targets heroically fought back, forcing him to go a clinic to treat his wounds where he was identified and arrested.
Over a four-month period last year, the 29-year-old Randfontein resident was at first able to get away with raping and robbing three women, brutally assaulting them in each incident.
According to the state’s indictment against him, the first complainant was travelling through the Middelvlei veld on February 9 2018 when she was accosted. He first beat her with his gun, then strangled her while raping her and took her Blackberry phone and R150 in cash.
On March 6, the next woman was walking through Bekkersdal, taking a quick break to eat her lunch.
The accused approached her, asking her for any cans or bottles because his mother recycles them.
The complainant followed him into an abandoned house, where he raped her before strangling her into unconsciousness and fleeing.
A mere two days later, he targeted yet another woman travelling along the R28 in Randfontein, dragging the woman into a secluded area where he once again strangled her until she passed out. However, when she awoke, he proceeded to assault her again before raping her.
It was in May that year that the man was finally caught after trying to attack another woman walking through open veld near Pelzvale, carrying buckets of vetkoek to sell.
He told the woman he wanted her to accompany him to sell her wares to “church members”, though she asked that he rather buy them from her to take to his church and sell them himself.
After leaving her alone briefly, he returned with a knife, beating the woman and strangling her.
However, as he tried to rape her, the woman fought back, biting his finger so hard that he immediately recoiled in pain.
What with the noise of both the attacker and his target, a passerby saw what was happening and began throwing stones at the man, forcing him to flee the scene.
The woman, who was still badly injured from the beating and strangulation, went to a nearby clinic for treatment.
However, her attacker had visited the same institution because of the severe damage to his finger, and she immediately recognised him, summoning the police.
One source close to the investigation said if it hadn’t been for her quick thinking, the suspected serial offender could have continued his rape and robbery spree unabated.
Meanwhile, Randfontein SAPS spokesperson Sergeant Carmen Hendricks confirmed the man was arrested at a local clinic, but said she could not comment further due to the continued investigation into the accused’s activities.
The man appeared at the Johannesburg High Court on Friday for a pretrial conference between state and defence.
Prosecutor Leisha Surendra told the court there were still numerous aspects of the investigation that needed to be finalised, including acquiring hospital records, crime scene photos and outstanding witness statements.
Reports of linkage analysis between the crimes and further DNA results were also still on the way.
The case was postponed to March for a trial date to be set following the completion of the police investigation.

This article is reserved for Times Select subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Times Select content.

Times Select

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.