Fire and death as Zim cracks down on fuel price protests


Fire and death as Zim cracks down on fuel price protests

Trade union stands firm after government more than doubled petrol prices after months of shortages

At least three people have been shot dead and many injured, Zimbabwe’s main opposition party said on Tuesday, as security forces crack down on protests triggered by a sharp, sudden rise in fuel prices.
The streets of Harare were deserted a day after widespread demonstrations when public anger erupted over the country’s worsening economic crisis. Most shops remained closed, and minibus taxis that usually transport workers from the suburbs to the city centre were not running.
The government more than doubled petrol prices at the weekend after months of shortages that saw drivers queueing for hours to fill up. Essentials such as bread and medicine have also been scarce.
“The information we have received is that two people were shot dead in Chitungwiza [on the outskirts of Harare] and one person in Kadoma [town],” said MDC opposition party spokesperson Jacob Mafume. “This is needless loss of lives. Many have been injured, some of them seriously.” He gave no further details.
On Tuesday, police fired tear gas in Bulawayo after protesters chanted for the removal of President Emmerson Mnangagwa. An AFP reporter witnessed looting in the city, a stronghold of opposition to the ruling Zanu-PF party.
Zimbabwe’s cellphone networks and internet were partially shut down, with one industry source saying the systems had been jammed and many users complaining of limited access.
In Harare’s suburb of Kuwadzana, police were on patrol and forcing people off the streets. One resident, Tawanda Mataya, said police had beaten him and slapped his 17-year-old son.
“It’s so painful,” Mataya told AFP, showing swellings on his back. “I was standing at my gate to assess whether I could go to work then this group of police who were passing by started beating me. My son who heard me screaming and opened the window to see what was happening was slapped several times.”
Mnangagwa announced the fuel price hike in a televised address late on Saturday, saying it was needed to tackle severe shortages and “rampant” illegal trading.
Speaking in Russia on Monday, Mnangagwa said the fuel price increase “was necessary and still is”. He was in Moscow to court a loan from the Putin regime. He said it would help in the modernising of Zimbabwe’s military.
On Monday, the police dispersed hundreds of protesters who burnt tyres, erected barricades and looted businesses on the first day of a three-day general strike.
Security Minister Owen Ncube said the security action caused “loss of life” without giving figures on the number of dead and wounded.
The Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights said 13 people had sustained gunshot wounds in and around Harare on Monday. At least 200 people were arrested during the disturbances.
On Tuesday morning the information ministry said on Twitter that “public order has been restored”.
The Zimbabwe Trade Union Confederation (ZCTU), for its part, reiterated its call to strike.
“Today it’s day two of the shutdown. We urge workers and citizens everywhere to stay at home,” ZCTU tweeted. “Our struggle is genuine and there must be economic reforms for the poor to survive.”

This article is reserved for Times Select subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Times Select content.

Times Select

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email or call 0860 52 52 00.

Next Article

Previous Article