Dad 'castrated preacher for raping his daughter'
Now the father of the nine-year-old has been denied bail because his release 'will fuel fire in the community'
A father accused of castrating and killing a lay preacher he believed had raped his nine-year-old daughter was denied bail in a packed to capacity East London Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
The father cut a lonely figure in the dock as the investigating officer, Constable Lundi Nqwelo, gave evidence for the state, which was arguing against his bail application.
To protect his daughter’s identity the father cannot be named.
Nqewelo said the man, a truck driver for a local company that transports soft drinks, was told by his ex-wife that their daughter had been raped by Mase Malgas, 66, a lay preacher at the St Philips Church in Gompo on September 30.
“The accused then wanted to be shown where the man lived. He was driven there by a friend with his co-accused [who was not in the dock beside him] and his ex-wife, to the deceased’s house ...
“He went inside and assaulted the man and while he was doing that he started to have thoughts of removing his private parts, but while he was busy cutting him, he stopped.”
The father then apparently took the wounded and half-naked man to the Scenery Park police station and continued to assault him outside the premises.
“Two police officers at the station said the accused slapped the deceased while police tried to help [the wounded man] ...
“The police called an ambulance to fetch the man and he died in hospital.”
Prosecutor Cynthia Mulindi asked Nqwelo if he had seen the body of the deceased, to which he replied that he went to the mortuary and observed that the deceased had multiple wounds on his private parts.
“I saw wounds on his private parts which are different from the stab wounds and bruises on his head.”
The court heard how the incident had left the community divided. Nqwelo said Scenery Park residents siding with the deceased lay preacher had torched the house where the girl who was allegedly raped had lived with her twin, granny and mother.
The children have since been taken to a place of safety.
After the torching the man called his father in Qumbu and went to stay there for nine days, Nqwelo said.
“He did not tell his employer where he was and did not switch on his phone because the work phone has a tracker and he knew we were looking for him.”
He finally handed himself over at the Cambridge police station on October 9.
Nqwelo said the child’s rape was medically confirmed, but they were still waiting for DNA results.
East London magistrate Joel Caesar said the court considered a number of factors before deciding on the bail application.
“The state is of the view that this was premeditated murder. When he went to the deceased’s house he had already decided that he wanted to inflict the same pain his daughter went through.”
He said the court understood that the case was peculiar as the accused was under impression that his daughter had been raped.
“The court has empathy and compassion that his daughter had been raped but we cannot have empathy that you took the law into your own hands, now leaving your daughter without a father because you are incarcerated.
“The relationship of the accused and the state witnesses [the ex-wife and a passer-by at the house of the lay preacher] is of a very sensitive matter. The court will not grant bail for your own safety until finalisation of the matter. Your release will fuel fire in the community.”
Outside court, church members held hands and prayed.
Church leader Mxolisi Zweni said the deceased was a person who contributed to the wellbeing of residents.
“We dispute that he raped the little girl until it is proved,” he said.
– Daily Dispatch