I was locked in a Kings Park loo with a knife-wielding maniac


I was locked in a Kings Park loo with a knife-wielding maniac

In an exclusive interview, the victim of the rugby stadium attack recounts her terrifying ordeal

Senior reporter

The scars on Dominique Heuer’s arm, shoulder and buttocks – from a knife attack at Kings Park Stadium – will be an indelible reminder of the moments she spent in a bathroom cubicle with the man who tried to kill her.
“He was trying to keep me quiet and it looked like he boiled [his anger] over and he started stabbing me. He stabbed me six times on my arm and shoulder and I was trying to push him away from my head and neck,” she said.
She was left with 72 stitches.
The 34-year-old administration clerk, of Westville, had been at the stadium for a Currie Cup rugby match between the Sharks and visiting Pumas XV on September 7.
After the final whistle Heuer left a pub inside the stadium complex to use the restroom.
“I took my bag and went to the toilet, which is down a corridor outside the bar. I was inside a cubicle and I had barely taken a step out of it when I saw him. It was busy when I went in but then in that moment I found myself alone,” she said.
“He said: ‘I’m going to knife you.’ I was taken by complete surprise and he forced me back into the cubicle. He pushed me inside, pulled out a knife and locked the door behind him before he demanded my phone.”
The man, she said, became flustered when he couldn’t find the cellphone in her handbag, and began to stab her.
“I started screaming in the hopes that someone would hear me and he started choking me, trying to shut me up,” she said.
Her attacker fled and she collapsed after stumbling from the stall.
“I walked three steps out of the cubicle and I just collapsed and I couldn’t stop screaming. I was just sitting there and blood was everywhere.”
In the days following the attack, after she was discharged from hospital, Sharks CEO Gary Teichmann met her and offered to pay for counselling should she need it. 
“I am not the kind of person who would go out to make a buck out of these people, but they need to do something about their security. What happened to me should never have happened,” she said.
“They told me they had footage of the corridor outside the bathroom that would have caught the man going in and out. They said they were looking into it and several days later they told us that there was a problem with the camera,” she added.
Heuer said she was told that an employee of a catering company at the stadium was arrested in connection with the knife attack. 
Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Thulani Zwane said detectives were investigating cases of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and attempted murder.
“She [Heuer] went to the bathroom and when she went out, she was approached by the suspect who threatened her with a knife demanding her cellphone.
“The suspect eventually stabbed her several times before he fled the scene. No arrests have been made at this stage and the matter is under investigation,” he said.
Sharks spokesperson Novashni Chetty said all cameras around the stadium were operational.
“However, there was a problem with one of the hard drives on the day. That server has been sent in to identify if there is any footage that can be obtained from it. The cameras in the stadium are regularly serviced, and all checks are in place for matches,” she said.

This article is reserved for Sunday Times Daily subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times Daily content.

Sunday Times Daily

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

Next Article

Previous Article