Mother furious after teen 'rape' gang gets free bail
The alleged perpetrators' parents are now scrambling to find new schools for their children
The mother of a Thaba Nchu schoolboy who was allegedly raped by five classmates in a school toilet is furious that her son had to hear from others the gang had been released on bail.
The five – four aged 14 and one aged 13 – were released on free bail last Monday after they were arrested in June. Their bail conditions forbid them from staying in Thaba Nchu or attending school there.
However, the victim’s 39-year-old mother is fuming after she was not informed that the suspects had been granted bail.
“I have a right to know that they were granted bail because those boys caused my child and myself pain. This pain can never go away. I know I will take this pain to my grave,” she said.
Her 14-year-old son was allegedly raped on two separate days in June. He also told police he was raped by four of the five boys in September.
Traumatised by his ordeal, the teenager only returned to his school in Selosesha in Thaba Nchu last month.
“I am worried because my son told me on Thursday that he had heard from other boys that the five were out. He looked very worried. I told him not to be scared, as I will always be there to protect him.”
On Friday, her son attended his sixth counselling session with a private doctor in Bloemfontein – thanks to the generous support from a Johannesburg-based company that offered to pay for his counselling.
The school has been paying R300 for the boy’s transport from Selosesha to Bloemfontein.
“But I am glad they will no longer be at the school,” said the teenager’s mother.
She said she was seeing an improvement in her son since he started attending counselling sessions.
“He’s better than those days before he got counselling. His maths mark has picked up.”
In June, she and the boy’s grandmother had noticed he was walking oddly and asked him what was wrong. After initially denying there was anything wrong, the boy later told his mother he was on his way home from school when one of the boys told him the “boss” wanted him in the toilet.
Starting from the tallest to the smallest, they then raped him, he told his mother.
A teacher at the school, who wished not to be identified, confirmed that three of the boys’ parents had visited the school on Friday to ask for a transfer for their children to other schools.
He said one of the three parents had requested a transfer to a school in Ficksburg, but he was asked to return his son’s outstanding textbooks before he could be granted the transfer.
“The parents of the other two boys were asking for advice on how they could find places at other schools for their boys. One of the two parents took his son to a school in Bloemfontein, but as soon as the principal heard that the boy was a rape suspect, he immediately refused him admission.”
The teacher said the Department of Education had advised the principal to contact them if the parents of the five pupils insisted on bringing their children back to the school.
“Since the boys’ arrest, there has been no discipline problem at the school.”
A school dossier of incidents of bullying allegedly committed by the five, which Times Select has seen, revealed that one of them allegedly touched a girl’s private parts, and another was found surfing porn on the Internet “instead of accessing curriculum-related matter”.
The dossier contained details of one of the boys allegedly stabbing a pupil with a pair of scissors and attempting to strangle another.
The boys, who each face three counts of rape, will be in court again on September 17, according to Thaba Nchu police spokesperson Martin Xuma.