Nkandla prepares for a sad homecoming

News

Nkandla prepares for a sad homecoming

Jacob Zuma's family are accepting his resignation with heavy hearts

Journalist

Former First lady Sizakele MaKhumalo Zuma had accepted the removal of her husband as head of state and was eagerly waiting for her return to their home in Nkandla.
This was revealed by a member of the Zuma family who spoke to MaKhumalo on Thursday after Zuma's resignation on Wednesday night.
The family member said Zuma's first wife said she  had seen his removal coming and she had accepted it.
“When I spoke to her this morning she said she has accepted that her husband is coming back home. She said she had already seen it coming but she has accepted it as long as he comes back home alive.”
But the family member said they were not happy at the manner in which Zuma was removed.
“It did not show maturity on the part of the ANC. He had done a lot for people's lives and the area.”
The family member cited Zuma's role in brokering peace between the ANC and IFP as one of his achievements.
“During that time we would be worried whether he would come back home alive but eventually there was peace in the province.”
Zuma, who has strong traditional credentials, is credited with pulling off a major breakthrough by brokering peace between traditional arch rivals the ANC and IFP  while he was deputy president of the ruling party before the 2004 elections.
Zuma's brother Joseph, 77 said there was  “no justice”  in the way his brother was removed.
Standing outside Zuma's homestead in KwaNxamalala in Nkandla where a group of ANC supporters had gathered to voice their displeasure at Zuma's removal he said the family were unhappy about the way his brother was removed.“This does not show justice. I don't think they should have allowed him to be removed like this. We are not happy because his term was about to come to an end and if they were patient with each other they should have waited until he finished his term,” he said.
He said he did not understand why the ANC rushed to remove him.
“We are very sad about this because he never said that he was not going to leave when his term expired.”
Meanwhile, in a statement issued by Zuma's son Edward, the family said they were aware that some ANC members were upset by the recall and were calling for a boycott of the 2019 general elections.
In the statement Edward said:  “We believe that the ANC remains the home for all the people of this country.”He said that the Zuma family supported the new ANC leadership that was elected in December last year and which is led by Cyril Ramaphosa.

This article is reserved for Times Select subscribers.
A subscription gives you full digital access to all Times Select content.

Times Select

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems?
Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

Next Article